This tastes like summer. Homemade mayonnaise perfumed with spicy-sweet basil. Can you just imagine this on a tomato sandwich?
|1 heaping cup||15 minutes|
- 15 - 20 whole leaves basil
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 clove garlic finely grated or minced
- 1/2 t-spoon kosher salt
- 1 - 2 t-spoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
Servings: heaping cup
- Put the basil and oils in a liquid measuring cup and blend with an immersion blender until coarsely blended. Cover and steep this for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours strain the oil through a fine mesh sieve lined with cheesecloth. Set the oil aside and discard the basil.
- In a wide-mouthed jar blend the egg, egg yolk, 1 t-spoon of lemon juice, garlic, and salt on medium speed for about 1 minute to aerate the egg and bit and combine everything. Now, with the blender still running, slowly stream the basily oil (plunging the immersion blender up and down a bit). Start by doing it drop by drop, slowly increasing it up to a thin, steady, slo-mo stream. Once it's smooth, thick, and perfectly emulsified check it for seasoning and add more salt or lemon juice as needed.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- If you don't have an immersion blender you can just roughly chop the basil and steep in the oil. You can use either a handmixer or standup mixer with the whisk attachment to make the mayo. A traditional blender or even food processor will also work in a pinch but I prefer the former.